You’re funny. You know it. It’s time to let everyone else in on it! This course is designed to flesh out your inner humorist, and provide you with professional techniques and exercises to write polished humor pieces, as well as instruct you on where to take them in order to get a solid toehold in humor writing. This 6-hour humor writing course will teach you how.
Spend a day with the award-winning, best-selling humorist Hollis Gillespie to learn her secrets on how to write humor that sells. If you’ve been pitching pieces to magazines (or book ideas to agents) that get punted back to you, or even if you’re too just uncertain of your ability to simply take the first step in order to do any of the above, then take this Atlanta humor writing course — a serious class on humor writing (but not too serious).
In this class you will learn:
- How to master the techniques professional humorists use to create hilarious material.
- How to spot the humor in everyday occurrences and how to write about them.
- How to flesh out a funny experience, make it a lot funnier, and extend the length to fill an entire story.
- How to structure words, pacing, alliteration and pentameter to magnify the humor in your writing.
- How to be inspired in your writing by comedic masters like Dave Barry and David Sedaris and Augusten Burroughs.
- How to use humor writing to make any content more entertaining and captivating.
- Where to pitch your humor pieces and humorous book ideas
- How to get started!
Award-winning national humor columnist Hollis Gillespie is the best-selling author of three memoirs based on her blog, the rights of which were purchased for television by Paramount. She is also a novelist, radio commentator for NPR and Georgia Public Broadcasting, the personal-essay judge for the Writers Digest annual creative-writing competition, a television writer and a television commentator for NBC’s Today Show and Dr. Oz.
The Shocking Real Life Learning Center is located in the lively Ponce City Market in Atlanta, Georgia at 675 Ponce De Leon Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30308
(Click HERE for directions from your location)
Free Parking — Ponce City Market is located at the corner of Glen Iris Dr. and Ponce de Leon Ave at 675 Ponce de Leon Ave. NE, ATlanta, GA 30308, directly across the street from the Whole Foods Market. On Glen Iris Dr. there is ample free street parking. minutes and stops right in front of our building. Here is a map and more information on Atlanta’s MARTA rail system.
or Paid Parking:
Ponce City Market has both underground and above-ground parking areas. Click HERE for information regarding paid parking at Ponce City Market.